- Animal agriculture causes 18 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions — more than the entire transportation sector, combined.
- Growing feed for livestock accounts for 56 percent of water use in the U.S.
- It takes approximately 1,800 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef.
- Livestock takes up 45 percent of the earth’s free land.
- Raising animals for food is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
- A farm with 2,500 dairy cows creates the same amount of waste as a city with over 400,000 people.
- As many as 2.7 trillion animals are taken from the ocean every year.
- Animal agriculture is the cause of up to 91 percent of Amazon rainforest destruction.
For more information, please see: http://cok.net/blog/2016/04/earth-day-heres-eat-save-planet/
And for help getting started: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/earth-day-every-day-going-green-with-plant-based-cuisine/
San Francisco, CA 94129-0242
“As long as men massacre animals they will kill each other. Indeed he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” – Pythagoras, 6th cent. BC
“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself be free.” – Dr. Albert Schweitzer